When we first started our sales consulting for moving companies, I couldn’t believe how many movers were “buying leads”. In fact, based on our discussions with hundreds of you, we believe more than 30,000 leads were being sold a day. That was back in 2010, but the purchasing of leads still continues to this day. So, the question is:
Are you a “Farmer”? Farmer characteristics:
- NO SALES DEPARTMENT: When you buy leads, you are effectively outsourcing your sales department. With no sales department, you are not in charge.
- LOW CONVERSION RATE: Movers tell us that purchased leads have a low conversion rate of under 3%.
- COMPETE FOR GOOGLE RANKINGS AND ADS: When you add them to the directories and moving brokers, private moving companies often don’t even get listed on Page One of Google.
Be a “Hunter”! Hunter characteristics:
- ACTIVE WITH REALTORS: Get out there and meet top Realtors in your area. They are top referrers of business.
- ACTIVE WITH NASAMM: Senior Move Managers need your help in moving their clients. Make sure they know your moving company.
- ACTIVE WITH SENIOR LIVING CENTERS: Do the executive directors know your moving company? Do they have your business card?
- ASSOCIATIONS: Are you a member of ATA, your state moving association, or your local chambers of commerce?
- SOCIAL AND BUSINESS GROUPS: How about Rotary or BNI, and similar groups? Get to know people who know you and your moving company.
- BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU: Just being a member adds to your ability to close prospects.
- SPONSORSHIPS: Several of our clients sponsor sports teams. It’s a great tie-in that many prospects value and identify with.
- ADVERTISING: Especially the new AI-infused Google AdWords or Google phone leads.
Are you going to wait for sales to come to you, or are you going to go out and hunt them down? Onward & upward!