DEAD PAGES CAN HURT PAGERANK
Don’t fool yourself by thinking that the more pages your site has the more authoritative it is. Simply not true. In fact, “dead” pages can slow your site down and provide no authority if they are never read. There is some indication they actually hurt the site’s authority and as a consequence, its page rank.
- CHECK PAGEVIEWS: This can be easily done using Google Analytics. Most likely it is articles like blogs that will have low pageviews, not your main tab pages.
- SET A STANDARD MEASUREMENT FOR DELETING: One measurement could be the number of pageviews in the last 12 months.
- SET A POLICY FOR DELETING DEAD PAGES: You may be surprised to find that many blog pages, for example, have not been viewed in the past 12 months. If that is the case, we would recommend deleting those pages.
- DATED PAGES: Is a blog page from 2015 actually relevant, especially if it’s about a then-current event or topical story?
- DEAD, UNREAD PAGES SERVE NO PURPOSE: They just slow down the site and add to it looking irrelevant in the eyes of the Google algorithms.
There’s never a bad time to start pruning your dead pages. We’ve taken over sites for new clients where we have deleted hundreds of pages and seen traffic increase. We commend this strategy to you too.
Onward and Upward!
FOR MORE INFO: https://marketersformovers.com/blog/your-ultimate-guide-to-moving-company-keywords-2022/